Today we’re attempting to resolve some of the task items that weren’t finished this week for some reason.
My friend Alex, and his logo are up first. The original post can be found here.
The idea for Melody Orphanage came to Alex around 1996-1997. It’s the colors he sails under when producing music.
I’m going to vectorize them first. Maybe do a trace and try and get a real sense for the troublespots are in his original drawing, or get a sense of what was pushing up against his subconscious when he was originally pressing pen to paper. Discovering what and how influences at the time might be at play with his drawings–and identifying ways to encapsulate and enhance their presence–is a soft goal with this process.
From there we can make more conventional logo and identify efforts.
I also am keeping fully in mind that an unconventional brand strategy might be the better fit for him.
Leer Street Community Garden
Earlier this week I collected soil samples from the site of the proposed community garden me and a few people are trying to make happen. The problem we’re facing is that it’s an abandoned lot. They were planning on building a clinic there once upon a time.
So, no one’s really been interested to know if anything can be done with the soil. With these samples, my friend Liz can finally begin planning how she will install the first set of garden beds. It’s nearly April, so we’re running out of time.
To keep track of what I was doing and a way to digest that information well, I made a hand-drawn sketch of the area and where about I was pulling soil from.
Using that map as a base, I need to draw a quick, but clean, vector map of the area. We’re going to include a heat map layer that takes the data I collected and applies it to a gradient map of soil fertility. We’ll do it one more time for the soil pH levels as well, although that shouldn’t take long because they seem to inverse of one another.
The distinction is made because while pH is measured on a scale of 0 to 10, fertility is measured on a scale from +1 to – 1, with 0 being the most ideal. Supposedly the Burpee soil tester can identify enough of the “18 nutrients essential to plant growth”, to make a call like this with some authority.
We also should keep in mind that while most plants enjoy a pH of around 6, a certain group of plants, which I’ll have to list out some other time, and maybe of serious interest to Liz because of what they produce (food and herbs mostly, think Basil) prefer a pH of 5.25-5.5.
I’ll be thinking about how to represent that data.
I’m inclined to trust the soil tester, because although most people who bought the thing didn’t get it to work, when you follow the instructions that came with it, and take your time, it does actually produce feedback.
So, I’ll try and find a really easy way of confronting that math problem without the requresite math background that probably has some way of expressing this value comparison.
After all of that, if we’re not too setback by the logo work, I’ll attempt building a permaculture survey map from data I collected for my house a year or so ago.
We’re going to create a version where Liz can rough sketch out how she wants to establish garden beds.
Portfolio work abounds and we have a lot of road to hoe in this instance.
I’ll be selecting a few items from the portfolio database file and building quick action mockups from the PSDcovers, the problem is that this is extremely memory intensive. For some reason PSD covers deals with resolutions natively that I have an impression are much larger than any modern print production would actually use when printing highway billboards.
And while I ordered a ram upgrade this week, it won’t be here until Thursday. However some of the action scripts work better than others so it’s worth a try. The process is liable to crash the live stream, so we might just focus instead on item two, tweaking my personal logo.
So what it looks like and what it’s supposed to be in fact are a little… more crypto than I at first intended.
I mashed a lowercase a from Claredeons and messed with the K side until I was fairly happy with it. So at the moment it looks more like a Y, which doesn’t bother me. I go by ‘Kirksey’ in a lot of circles and the emphasis on the Y, or long E sound in my name makes it make sense by virtue of phonics.
I had an idea about some small geometric changes I can make to the the tail on the ‘Y’ which should cause it to create a sort of illusion of a K with greater fidelity.